EPISODE 118 SHOW NOTES
Do you struggle to think about your past, because it’s too painful to dig into? Maybe you aren’t proud of some of the choices you’ve made, and you want to blame everyone else but yourself-you’re not ready to take ownership. I don’t want you to beat yourself up for feeling this way (we’re all human and make mistakes after all), but I do want to help you move forward, and make the positive progress you desire with your life.
Something I have seen in my own life and in the lives of those around me is we have a habit of looking to others to get our needs met. We look to them for emotional needs, and we want them to meet those. We want to feel the connection, the love, and the security. We look to other people for our physical needs, for our physical wellness, our health. We even look to others for our entertainment, for our care taking. Sometimes, we just expect people to show up and take care of us. We look to others for our safety, and our overall happiness.
Of course, I could blame my ex-husband for every single thing that went wrong in our relationship (let’s not pretend like I don’t at times). But when I really go back and take a look at my part in that, THAT is where I have had some serious, profound breakthroughs in myself, my growth, and understanding who I am, and why I do the things I do.
In today’s episode, I cover:
- An excerpt from my book Functioning Hot Mess: Embrace Your Inner Chaos and Be Enough in a World That Says You’re Not, about the importance of taking ownership of your life, even if the people in your life aren’t doing the same
- Learning exactly how you can take ownership back by really evaluating past events (not just staying at the surface level with how you felt)
- My own story of giving someone else too much of my power, control, and happiness, until I finally had enough
While we want to have that magic pill or the fairy godmother to come in and solve all of our problems without us changing any of our behavior. That may seem nice on the surface, it will end up being detrimental for us in our present, and our future.
The “work” part we have to do can be tough-it’s kind of crappy, and it’s when we have to get really honest with ourselves, what we have contributed, what we could have done differently, etc.
When you decide to take ownership of your life, you start to understand challenges that are placed on you, and how you want to feel moving forward. Your feelings are very real, and they are valid, and I hope you choose to investigate those. You’ll start to find your power, and you’ll know yourself, and love yourself. You’ll also have more love and compassion for those around you, because it applies to more than just one situation or circumstance in your life.
It’s time to take your power back, and live your best, empowered life!
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Are you ready for a life coach? If so, connect with me at The Heart of Confidence. I want to help you break free from the cage of your limiting beliefs!
- Connect with me over on Instagram so we can continue this conversation!
- This episode is sponsored by Perfectly Imperfect Membership-https://theheartofconfidence.com/membership. If you’re feeling like a hot mess and you know you need a change, or you’re just ready to level up and not sure where to start, you can try my new membership risk free for 7 days!